Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Food memories

I love food. I come from a family of food lovers and they are always growing things to eat, every kind of fruit, vegetable and herb. We all have these overgrown vegetable gardens, even though we all live near the city and therefore do not have acres and acres to grow stuff in. Fortunately my parents no longer keep the chickens, geese, ducks and so on. My earliest memories involve food. A few years ago we made our first trip across to Europe to visit my parents extended family. We arrived at the house my mother grew up in (and where we were staying) to find a large, still warm, round bread wrapped in a tea towel and a bottle of fresh milk, by the front door. My eyes swam and I'll never forget that moment of welcome.

Other memories include my great grandmother's Baked apples, my mother's Parsley fritters and who could forget my Avo Grossa's, (well, that's what I called her) fried eggs (those weren't regular eggs, they tasted so good) and my great-aunt's peas & egg dish... oh and my father's traditional Christmas pork, with wine and garlic. Yum!! I better stop, this list will get very long.

For Christmas I made Rebecca a little recipe book of all her favourite foods. She is growing so quickly and once her first tooth started wobbling, I knew we were kissing the baby years away for good, so I thought I better jot down her favourite toddler foods before I forgot and so the book was born. She loved the idea of having her own cookbook!

Now I'm hungry. I think I'll phone my mom and see if she's keen on making me a batch of those fritters. Holding thumbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment