Monday, January 17, 2011

Love your enemies?

What do you do with someone who takes pleasure in your failure? Who gloats at your mistakes?

You want to say the ugly words that form in your mind... you take them captive...
more arrive... do it again.
You can't let them loose... you know that leads to more damage, you have enough already.

You want to put them in their place - but what does that bring? Your spirit knows that it is just as pathetic a behaviour as has been done to you, but your flesh wants to unburden. You must choose. Don't play their game... it's so fruitless.

You swallow the bitter taste and concentrate your mind on who really matters. He knows.

Someone walks in and you answer but you ache. They go.

You need fresh air, fresh wind, a sea breeze... upon your face and your soul... His word is alive and it's remedial properties work.



"He rescued me from my strong enemy and those who hated me... He brought me out into a broad place, He rescued me because He delighted in me." Psalm 18

You can't change others, you can only change yourself... your attitude, your response, your words. You get beauty for ashes.

2 comments:

  1. I've been chewing on this particular post for a few days now (ok, slightly more than a week!)

    Those written words have a voice and are speaking so loudly to me, especially in the horrid, almost toxic work environment I have to endure.

    I find myself asking "When, God, WHEN? ! When are You going to bring the breakthrough, when are You going to vanquish my enemies (those heathens who worship allah)... Don't let my enemies triumph over me. And I wait.... and wait some more and wonder once again... When?

    But despite all this, my trust, my hope and my faith is in God - the Lord of Hosts, my Warrior and my Defender. So, I will stand, regardless of the onslaught. I will encourage myself and recall God's goodness, His provision, His victories!

    ReplyDelete