Monday, January 31, 2011

Extracting happiness

"The art of being happy lies in the power to extract
happiness from the common things."
Henry Beecher


We often think that soon a day will come when things will be different... slower, brighter, easier... on that day you will smell the roses, but frankly while we do need to look at where we are going we need to enjoy where we are. Today can have moments, minutes, time... that is slower, brighter, easier.

Case in point... I called my mother today... in the middle of my dialogue she clearly turns to my father (I hear them) and she says 'what's that black thing up there' and then turns her attention back to me. Instead of thinking 'she never listens to me' I actually thought 'who cares about the diversion' - what a blessing it is to hear her voice, to be able to ring her in the middle of a day.


Take a leaf out of Beecher's book and try to find happiness in the common things. Beauty is all around... look.

No comments:

Post a Comment