Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Speeding matters up


I often make big batches of things that can be frozen to speed up a week-day meal... like these spinach shaped hearts.  I clean, chop and give then a quick heat to wilt.  Squeeze them and pack tightly into silicone muffin pans.  Once frozen, remove and store in zip-lock bags.  Makes life much easier when you want to make soup, stir fry or smoothie.


This is apple sauce. Let a large batch of peeled, cored and chopped apples cook down with a little water and a teaspoon of sugar. (You can use more sugar or no sugar)  Mash.  Cool. I then measure one cupful (250ml) into my extra large muffin pans.  Freeze.  Ready for muffins, pancakes, cake, pork chops or just hot over ice-cream.


My bananas are chopped and frozen in batches of two.  They go straight from the freezer to the blender for my smoothies, or I defrost them and mash for my banana bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment