Sunday, February 7, 2010

Attempting

So yesterday among other things I attempted the pancakes. I read many recipes and this is my final edited version.

Gluten Free Pancakes



Whisk together: 1 egg, 300ml buttermilk (or regular milk), 2 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon honey
Measure in a bowl: 1+1/4 cup brown rice flour, 1/2 cup of quinoa flour, 1 slightly heaped teaspoon of baking powder, a pinch of salt, 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

Mix wet and dry together. Get a non-stick pan very hot and proceed like regular pancakes. Turn once bubbles form. (Don't lose heart if the first one sticks and is difficult to turn - once pan is very hot they are super easy). I tossed a few bits of chocolate into half the batter and blueberries into the balance. We had a little honey on the chocolate and Hillcrest Blackcurrent jam on the blueberry ones (this is a lovely jam - not sweet but fruity).

Now... did they taste like regular pancakes? Kinda... not really. The texture was more spongy than regular pancakes. Will I make them again? Yes. In fact I'm having reheated leftovers as I write this, with a little butter and jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment