Thursday, September 19, 2013

Small graces

I was at the sink washing eggs and thinking about what Ann had written about washing her eggs.  She said that she was thankful for it.  I was notNot.  At.  All.  That's the truth.

I thought, 'Lord, there must be something to be grateful for here and now... surely?'  I looked up from the washing and the sky was wide open blue and beautiful.  I saw a small flock of four birds sail smoothly across my view.  It looked so pretty and I breathed deep and thought Yes, I am grateful.  I couldn't believe how sudden it was and what a pure pleasure it brought.  Perspective is so important:  if I had not been standing just here doing this job I would not have seen that little group of birds and it reminded me of my little group, still sleeping in their beds and I was thankful, very thankful.


"Holy joy lies in the habit of murmuring thanks to God for the smallest graces."
~ A. Voskamp

No comments:

Post a Comment