Thursday, April 18, 2013

A fretting woman and the love that holds on


For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”  For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes.
~ 1st Corinthians 11. 23-26


Wayne remembered while I worried.

I read Psalm 91 about abiding and I knew that often times I don't abide. I wander and worry and I fret and I cry.

But I did remember Israel, whom throughout the old testament God kept calling their wayward hearts back, He wooed and He loved and He persisted.  I thought about that.  About how He really is and not what I make Him... What kind of a God is this.  That always gives, always loves. Who thought it would be better to be broken, just on the chance possibility that we might reciprocate that love... and poorly at that.

I remembered His faithfulness to them because He loved them not because they were perfect. Not perfect by far.  He still seeks and saves that which is lost.

Last Wednesday I laid on a cold surface looking up at the surgeon.

Today I sat across from him, waiting...

"Take your human feelings, multiply them exponentially into infinity, and you will have a hint of the love of God revealed by and in Jesus Christ... God is loving us -you and me- this moment, just as we are and not as we should be."
~ Brennan Manning

I walked out and gave thanks. Eucharist.
EUCHARIST (εὐχαριστέω) - Literally means to be grateful and give thanks.
This verb began to be used in ancient times at the celebration of the Lord’s Supper because of the GIVING OF THANKS that Jesus Himself did at the last supper. 

Irenaeus, an early church leader and apologist wrote, “it is no longer common bread but eucharist”

Yes, it isn't common.  Uncommon bread and uncommon grace.  We feed on this uncommon gift and faithfulness and the love of God compels us.  'Thank You dearest Lord', for I have no better way of remembering and reciprocating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment