Thursday, July 12, 2012

A patient, steady work

"I find a good many people have been bothered by... 'Be ye perfect'.  Some people seem to think this means 'Unless you are perfect, I will not help you'; and as we cannot be perfect, then if He meant that, our position is hopeless.  But I do not think He did mean that. 

I think He meant 'The only help I will give is help to become perfect.  You may want something less: but I will give you nothing less.

God's demand for perfection need not discourage you in the least in your present attempts to be good... or failures. Each time you fall He will pick you up again.

It is not idealistic... nor impossible... He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us...dazzling, radiant... a bright stainless mirror which reflects... delight and goodness.  He meant what He said."

~ Mere Christianity  C.S Lewis



God is patient and celebrates our every effort.  His eyes are on us and He is not discouraged by our weaknesses.  He is patient and kind, and teaches us line upon line, precept upon precept.  He knows our frame. 'I will not allow My faithfulness to fail.  My covenant I will not break' - Ps 89.  He does the great work within us so its not of ourselves but His work for His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment