Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mice and things

Rebecca was feverish yesterday and ended up at the Doctor.
A part of the conversation went like this (she takes questions very literally)

Dr: Did you blow your nose much yesterday?
Ruby: No. (Pause) Yes. (Pause). Well a few times
(clearly unsure of how many times constitutes "much")
Dr: That's okay
Ruby: I remember. (Pause) It was three. (Pause, with the necessary expression). I think. (Pause) Yes. Once in the morning, that one was okay. Then I blew it at lunchtime... and then on the playground and that one was bad, there was alot of funny stuff in my nose.
Dr: Umm.

That minute was looooong.

Another not so funny story, it happened this morning, before I even had my tea.

I walk into the kitchen to put on the kettle and out of the corner of my eye I see a flash of tiny brown. I don't need to think, I've been through this before. I open the kitchen door to the garage and then open the garage door. I hope the smell of the outdoors and the inviting light will draw him out from behind my oven. I calmly pour my tea and wait.

Within 3 minutes he is out the door into the garage, but alas, he doesn't run outside but to the back - silly mouse. But at least I can lock up my house and leave him in the garage until my husband gets home. Since he is out of my domain, I'm happy.

Now I can enjoy another cuppa.

No comments:

Post a Comment