Saturday, May 9, 2009

Cookbooks

Cookbooks are great reading. I love to relax with a good cookbook, its as good as a novel in my book. They are so inspiring and its best with introductions to the recipe, that tell us something of how it came about or what it means to the author's family. The history behind it.

Smug cooks are not my favourite, I like authors who believe that food cooked with love and shared with laughter is what it is all about. I love food but our priorities must be right, its always about people and not food really. Much nicer to have tea and toast with a lovely homemade raspberry jam with someone you love than a 4 course bit of fancy alone.

Its hard to narrow it down, but some of my favourites include

Susan Loomis On Rue Tatin
The french town comes alive and I so enjoyed the journey of getting their home livable and of course the Gateau Yaourt D' Audrey

Tamasin Day Lewis Tamasin's Weekend Food
Re-discover satisfying, pure, slow british recipes

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall The River Cottage Year
I so drooled with this book. Old fashioned english food. His approach to food is contagious.

Colette Comins The Farm Kitchen
Wonderful, simple family food. Loved the photography and was immediately prompted to enlarge my veg patch, you'll want to try every recipe.

Marlene van der Westhuizen Delectable
Photographs that make me miss France. Recipes inspire you to walk through your herb and
vegetable garden and prepare food that you eat at a white table with antique silverware.

Nigel Slater The Kitchen Diaries
This really does help you to eat with the ebb and flow of the seasons. It takes the posh, overly contrived agony out of food. Just look in the fridge and pantry and be inspired. I really love this book, its really a diary of a year of cooking. Great reading with a large cup of tea.

Have a super weekend in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment