Friday, August 21, 2009

R, R + R

I've been trying to be a bit more 'green' lately. Its really not stressful, just takes a little thinking before doing... which is never a bad idea, for example making sure you have a sturdy bag/basket before going grocery shopping and taking a glass jug from home to Fruit & Veg/farm to get your milk, not just buying another plastic bottle of milk at the store and several other really simple ideas using the recycling credo: Reduce, Re use and Recycle.

Please don't start yawning yet -
Getting bins and sticking them in the garage for your paper, plastic and glass is a super simple idea - and maybe a small compost heap at the back of the garden (I haven't quite gotten that far - I just cannot consider doing that in winter). But honestly, there are so many depots around the country and today I just found out that there is a Petco station (plastic recycling) just 2 minutes away from my house! Cool!

The thing is that I do feel that I have an obligation towards Rebecca and her future children, to do the bare minimum at least... I'm not one for major changes and nor do I have loads of time to give to this, so I'm sticking to the basics - every tiny bit helps. But like I said the thing is just a little thinking ahead, eg batteries (which are pretty toxic) can be tossed into the Uniross containers at any Pick and Pay, or buying fruit & veg at markets etc where they are loose and not in all that silly packaging.

For more ideas if you are interested go to 'goinggreen.co.za'

On a funny note -
When I was sharing with Rebecca about recycling and why we do it... my car fanatic husband contributed 'Do you know that the latest Volvo is 85% recyclable and by the year 2015 they want it to be 95%!'

No comments:

Post a Comment